History of Essex County

Within the history of the Town of Moriah appears this information about Mineville:

Mineville – – This is a mining village situated about seven miles northwest from Port Henry. Its settlement and growth have been largely a consequence of the great development of the iron interest and its current prosperity depends to a considerable extent upon that industry. Among the early settlers and residents in this locality may be mentioned Milton Reed, son of the pioneer, Jonas Reed, who was born here in August, 1814. Jonas Reed was the first permanent settler here, about 1810. Levi Reed, twin brother of Milton, is also a resident of this section. Milton Reed was at one period owner of the land on which is the ore bed No. 21, which he sold about 1839 to Storrs & Rosseau. David Sanford, from whose reminiscences we have quoted, was an early resident here and owned most of the mining lands. As late as 1820 there was not much of a settlement at this point, and much of the region was still forest–covered. John Bartlett had a saw–mill and within the next ten years they sprang up like mushrooms in different parts of the town and the extensive lumber business rapidly developed. There was no mercantile business here until later than 1825. Jonas Reed and others used to do their trading at Whitehall and Albany, commonly going down in the winter on the ice. A school was kept early in a building which stood on the site of McDermott's blacksmith shop; it was removed farther west about 1820. One of the early schoolteachers was Jonathan Race. There was no church in the place, until later than 1870, the people going to Moriah Corners or elsewhere for religious instruction. Meetings were held in the vicinity not long after 1820, at some of which Rev. Cyrenius Chapin, already mentioned, officiated.

The vast mining interests which have caused the growth of this village have already been sufficiently described {and for researchers interested in that industry in Essex County, this book is highly recommended}. The present mercantile interests of the place comprise the general store of G.T. Treadway, who came here in 1866 and began business; he purchased the store of the Port Henry Iron Ore Company; the business was first begun in about 1815. The post–office was established about 1870, and Mr. Treadway has been postmaster since that time. Allen & Sherman, of Port Henry, established a branch store here in 1880. Charles A. Butler is dealing in tinware and house furnishing goods.

About the year 1873 Dennis Hayes came here and built the Empire House, which he has conducted as a hotel since that time. There was then a hotel here called Cusac's House, on Union Square.

Churches. – The Presbyterian church at Mineville was erected in 1875 at a cost of about $15,000; it was built as a Congregational church. The first pastor was Rev. D.W. Cameron. The society was organized in the schoolhouse in October, 1874. The first trustees were Milton Reed, James Beck, Robert Clydesdale, Isaac McLyman, Walter Tefft, George G. Roe, and George T. Treadway. A few years later the Presbytery of Champlain assumed control of the church. The society is served at present, temporarily, by Rev. G. A. Thomas, of Port Henry, who preaches every Sunday afternoon.

Emanuel Mission, Mineville (Episcopal). – This society was organized in February, 1876. The first members were T. S. Beach, Walter Tefft, James C. Gregory, W.H. Tefft, G.G. Roe, Charles A. Sweatt, A.J. Arnold, H.B. Lewis, Myron Pulsifer, James Wait, Robert Boyd, Mrs. Mary K. Treadway, Mrs. William H. Thompson, Mrs. Allen S. Stone, Mrs. A. Smith, Mrs. Ellen Gregory, Mrs. Jane A. Riddle, Mrs. Ann Thompson. Rev. William R. Woodbridge has been in charge of the society since its organization. The first warden was James G. Gregory; treasurer, Walter Tefft. Present warden, James Wait. The corner stone of the edifice was laid July 28th, 1879, and the building consecrated November 19th, 1879; it cost $1,768; present value $1,500. A Sunday–school was organized with the church, with James Wait as superintendent. The rector is the present superintendent. Membership of the church fifty; communicants, fourteen.

Roman Catholic Church. – This society was organized in 1872, the first priest being Father Phillips, who remained one year. Rev. Joseph Taney came in 1873 and remained until 1880, and died here. The present priest is Rev. Florence McCarthy, who came from Watertown. The church building was remodeled in 1882 at a cost of about $5,000.

Stevenson Post, G.A.R. 102, have their organization here. The present number is fifty–three. The following are the present officers: E.F. Edgerley, commander; R.L. Jenkins, senior vice–commander; A.W. Smith, junior vice–commander; A.H. Woodruff, adjutant; E.A. Bretell, quartermaster; S. Deyo, surgeon; M.W. Dean, officer of the day; C.W. Sumner, officer of the guard.

Moriah Center. – This is a hamlet situated about two miles west of Port Henry. The post–office was established here in 1866. In July, 1870, it was removed to Mineville and in the following month a new one was established here. S.B. Sprague is postmaster and has had the office since 1871. A.H. Woodruff was the first incumbent and the only other one. Osborn Parmeter was an early blacksmith at this point and subsequently kept a store. Eliphalet Hall built a store here a number of years ago, which was occupied by him and later by E.P. Hendee; it was burned in 1884. S.B. Sprague opened a store in 1871; since 1884 it has been kept by Mrs. Sprague. E.P. Woodruff & Brother (C.J. Woodruff) began business in April, 1885. A.H. Woodruff had the store before them since the summer of 1869, the building which then stood there having been carried away by a flood in 1869 and a new one built. The original store was bought by Mr. Woodruff of Thomas Tobin; it was built about 1840 by E.C. Smith, who sold to George Beers and he to Tobin. It was used as a wheelwright shop previous to Mr. Woodruff's purchase. Albert Baton has a wheelwright shop which he has operated since 1875; Elbridge Bretell is also engaged in the same business. Solomon Deyo has had a shoe shop here since 1866, and Michael Hughes is the blacksmith.


Return to top

Back to homepage